- Introduction of BS(CySec) Program
The BS (Cyber Security) program intended to produce skilled professionals to understand the processes that impact information security, safeguarding information assets, collection and preservation of digital evidences, analysis of data, and identification and fixing of security vulnerabilities. The program will equip students with the fundamental knowledge of computer science that forms the technical foundation of the field, with an essential focus on experiential learning through laboratory exercises in the security courses. This degree is a state-of-the-art course with a perfect blend of Cyber Security that is designed to set the graduates up for immediate industry success by combining and leveraging today’s cutting-edge technology with real-world scenarios.
All Industries, Financial Institutions now have growing numbers of Cyber Security requirements. This Degree program provides students with a baseline understanding of what generally Cybersecurity is? Its threats landscape, vulnerabilities, and risks. Specifically the Practical Road map and work flow of Cybersecurity be taught. Why Cybersecurity is becoming so important these days. Ethical Hacking concepts and its scope. Different Linux platforms for Hacking and Penetration Testing. An overview of how basic cyber-attacks are constructed and applied to real systems is also included. Network attacks such as distributed denial of service (DDoS) and botnet- attacks are also described from the past couple of decades. Cyber Space & Cyber War Fare concepts are much essential these days. Hence the need for ‘Cyber Security’ arises.
Furthermore, it is well known that this is the age of specialization and emerging tech, Universities have started offering BS in areas such as Data Science (DS) and Artificial Intelligence (AI). Cyber Security (CySec) is also one of the emerging specializations which has gained popularity as a career prospect in Cyber World.
In recognition of this need, DHA Suffa University considers itself adequately equipped and well placed to offer this program under the Umbrella of its Computer Science Department.
- Mission and Objectives of BS (CySec) program
Mission: To teach Cyber Security using modern day knowledge and tools to
Prepare Cyber Security professionals for Pakistan’s Cyber Space and IT/Telecom Industries.
Objectives: Graduates of BS (CySec) should have the following attributes:-
- Capacity for Cyber Attacks & Threats Landscape Analysis
- Sharp acumen for Ethical Hacking & Penetration Testing
- Knack and skill for Secure Software Development & Deployment
- Technology savvy through Industry placements and internships
- Affinity for emerging technologies including AI & ML, needed for higher studies and cutting-edge research in Digital Era.
III. Campus Resources
- Dedicated Computing Labs:
General Purpose (2), Final Year Project, Advance Computing, Systems labs equipped with the following dedicated and latest branded Computers:
- Apple iMac with Intel Core i7
- ASUS AMD Ryzen 7, 4.1GHz workstations
- Viper Pluto S AIO Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM
- HP EliteDesk G1 800 Intel Core i7 8/16GB RAM
- Capacity of 50 to 60 students
- Fully air-conditioned
- Intranet/Internet connected self-reliant e-Rostrums
- Multimedia projector with screen controls
- Tablet chairs or flipped desks
- Faculty Members (CS Dept.):
- Highly motivated and qualified from reputed Foreign and Pakistani Universities
- Research-driven, well connected with global academia,
- Principal and Co-Principal Investigators in national projects
- Published papers in leading CS journals and conferences
- Several years of Teaching experience in multiple pedagogical approaches
- Have many years of practical IT/Networks/Telecom Industry experience across the region
- Support Departments:
- DSU Career Services & Corporate Relations (CS&CR) department aims to achieve top-of-the-mind recall among top employers with respect to their skilled manpower requirements. It maximizes opportunities for DSU graduates through technological/ process innovations and by developing strong corporate linkages. Its partner, the Alumni Relations Office, fits in neatly here as it includes DSU alumni as natural focal person for networking with the industry and corporate engagement by CS&CR.
- DSU Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) being an extension for the HEC is not just to implement or operationalize the HEC quality enhancement rules, it takes confident steps in making the University work towards excellence. It embeds quality in all academic degree programs, develops quality assurance processes etc. thereby ensuring progress in all avenues upholding the highest national standards.
- DSU International Education Resource Center (IERC) promotes foreign higher education opportunities and foreign study pathway programs at DSU graduates. Being the University’s international office, it extends its services to all internal stakeholders for enhancing the canvas of opportunities beyond borders.
- DSU Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovative Development (CEID) promotes the entrepreneurial mindset among students and graduates by educating and encouraging them to understand and contribute towards the economy as an inspired entrepreneur through independent ventures anchored on their skill-sets and talents.
- DSU Professional Development Centre (PDC) offers training programs designed to entertain various technical and management related skills, provide tools needed to drive innovations and connect to network of peers, specialists and mentors.
- DSU Alumni Office is connecting the present DSU community with its past students that have successfully moved on to careers in the industry and businesses. Their frequent visits and engagements at various levels back in DSU is always an inspirational experience for the students.
- Allied Facilities:
- Transportation: The University owned air-conditioned transport at discounted rates and Contracted transport will also be available at Main Campus in DHA Phase VII Ext. In addition, free shuttle commutes twice daily to and from nearby local market hub.
- Medical Care: Medical Room manned by a certified Medical Officer and staff nurses are available for attending to the immediate medical and healthcare needs of students. A fully-equipped Medical Center 3kms away is accessible for extended support catering to all University needs. COVID-related healthcare protocols and infrastructure are in place.
- Tier-2 Data center-based IT campus-wide intranet/internet with unlimited Wi-Fi access infrastructure, mosque, common rooms, female prayer area, air-conditioned cafeteria, sports facilities, security network with video surveillance and control, RO Plant for drinking water and 15 vibrant student societies including 5 professional affiliates of international associations.
- Why DSU?
With the unmatchable support of DSU Resources mentioned above, a student of any program will be able to have an experiential journey at DSU, not only on campus but off campus as well through various tentacles of curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular infrastructure. As we discuss the fulfilment prospects of a BS (CySec) student, he/she has even more to absorb and build upon, based on the following strengths;
- CS Department more than ever is very enthusiastically connected with almost all the respectable software houses, Network/Telecom Service Providers and renowned fin-techs, around the city of Karachi and beyond. This enables them to gather every semester on campus for discussing innovations, global needs and trends and emerging technologies while evaluating final year projects. This is key to the success of the CS projects and graduate placements, even before they are done with their studies. BS (CySec) will follow suit.
- Location of DSU main campus is an added advantage to further support the interconnectivity of BS (CySec) students with the Cyber market players. The DHA Phase VII extension brings DSU within close proximity to many software houses and Cyber Corporate Hubs of the country as they maintain their offices and workplaces within DHA which is DSU’s neighborhood.
- BS (CS) graduates and alumni of DSU have now entered key businesses and industry, bolstering the DSU CS&CR dept to liaise with them for extending opportunities for BS (CySec) students and graduates for internships and employment, respectively. CS alumni are presently the most successfully employed and engaged graduates of DSU, and BS (CySec) will be no different.
- CS Department is proud of its stellar legacy with successes in co-curricular endeavors nationwide as well as internationally and this presents BS (CySec) with similar prospects to grow and flourish on this fertile foundation, under the able guidance and mentorship of the seasoned CS faculty members.
- Many DSU BS (CS) graduates have ventured into forming startups and some into thriving businesses already which will be inspirational for the BS (CySec) students as well as strong support for their endeavors through the DSU CEID for their own accelerated growth as budding entrepreneurs. CEID will also facilitate BS (CySec) students in ideation, their startup incubation and mentoring them to positively pitch their worthwhile ideas to the market players. CEID MoUs with various leaders in the entrepreneurial landscape is the real DSU advantage for the BS (CySec) students.